Tuesday 12 January 2010

If ever I was inclined to follow in the footsteps of Desperate Housewives' Gabrielle and have myself an affair with a sexy young gardener, today was probably my opportunity (albeit with an electrician, rather than a man of the soil - cue electric/sparks flying etc etc jokes). What's more, my electricians came as a pair, which meant I could have chosen between Luke (younger, clean shaven) or Lance (bearded, intense in a curiously sexy sort of way). Naturally I am desperately in love with the Major, which means I am not going to translate the antics of Wisteria Lane into my own life, but it is strange how a TV show which I never even really watched seems to so spookily parallel my new life (or at least it surroundings). Let's point out the similarities:
- Cast: 5 women, plus a narrator. Well I'd be the narrator, natch, and am sure I could pull together a motley crew of women complete with attendent neuroses, no problem. It's only a matter of time.
- Setting: suburban bliss in small town America, complete with white picket fences and chocolate-box houses. If you came to my new home, you'd be doing a double take. OK, so there are marginally fewer picket fences (they don't really go into enclosing their land round here), but my neighbourhood is like a Barratt Homes executive director's wet dream.
- Themes: suicide, floundering marriages, sexual infidelity. Well I can't say I'm experiencing any of the above myself as yet, but it's only a matter of time before I discover other people who are.
Erm - that's about it really. Perhaps not as identical as I'd first thought, bar the suburban setting. I'll keep you posted on the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment