Saturday 2 January 2010

Have just returned from the first genuinely delicious meal I've had since coming to America. By delicious I don't mean that initial, gorge yourself sugar rush of a crisply coated donut hole, or the satisfying first mouthful of a plate of bacon, eggs and home fries. I mean a meal where you come away having genuinely savoured flavours, rather than everything just being coated in a sticky, sugary, overly seasoned gloop.
The cause of the celebration? An Italian restaurant called Lidias. Lidia is the doyenne of Italian cookery around here, and her reputation is well deserved. Lightly seared octopus over a warm salad of potatoes, onions and olives, followed by delicious lumps of gorgonzola, the freshest, pepperiest rocket and the sweetest pears. Mmmm.... beats Wendys, Mcdonalds, brunch at the local cafe and everything else I've eaten out here into a cocked hat. And the portions weren't even too big. I'll be going back.

No comments:

Post a Comment