Wednesday 4 August 2010

I am totally loving being back home, but certain things keep happening that jolt me and point out the difference between my new short-term home and the real one. Last night, for example, I went to the theatre with my parents and some friends, and we all met up for a Chinese beforehand. After we'd ordered a round of drinks, my father asked if we could also have a jug of tap-water. He was informed that if we wanted tap-water, we would be charged 50p a glass. Cue father getting outraged and me hiding my head in embarrassment.

Nevertheless, he had a point. In this day and age, it seems outrageous to charge for tap-water, particularly if you're eating a full-on meal and paying for it. And me made me realise how lovely it is in America, where whenever you arrive at a restaurant, they bring you a full glass of iced water the moment you sit down - and don't look at you as if you're some sort of inferior bug if you don't order anything else to drink.

Of course our Chinese was probably the exception rather than the rule; however it made me realise that sometimes, our friends across the pond do have it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment