Thursday 22 July 2010

Furore?

No comments yet on yesterday's post detailing the conversation between myself and a KC store owner who thought Australia was in the UK. However, I also posted it on Facebook and it seems to have caused something of a storm - whether one in a teacup I have yet to see.
I did wonder, when I posted it, if I would begin to offend my American FB friends (I posted another comment a few weeks ago, describing a group of Americans who said to a Kiwi friend who also moved here in December 'you know, your English has really improved since you moved here'). And sure enough one, my dear friend Olga (who is highly intelligent by the way) has retaliated. Herewith I reproduce the debate/various comments (excluding names, for privacy)...


That is amazing.

I too have occassionally been assumed an Aussie, but thankfully canadians are a bit more geographically blessed!

Genius. Your response?

Classic!

wow

My sister once got her haircut in an american salon, and her conversation went as follows:
Hairdresser: So you speak, like, really good English, where are you from?
Sister: England
Hairdresser: Oh, so do they, like, speak English there?
Sister: No, a variant of Russian.

My Grandmother lived Stateside for a while. After having her hair done one week she said to her Hairdresser that she would see him in a Fortnight. Hairdresser: Whats a fortnight? Grandmother: 2 weeks. Hairdresser: Cool! see you in a couple of forts!

aaaaa ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!! keep em coming!

I've got a good one. When I told a girl in America I was from England, confused, she asked, 'how come you speak such good English?'.

You asked for cutlery yet? Good luck with that one.... when we were last visiting Chicago a year ago, I accidently got out a £20 note to pay for some fudge, then realised I had made a mistake - the guy was genuienly perplexed that in other countries they use different money!

Hey! I'm offended, we're not ALL morons! I can see you're getting annoyed Luce with the area, Kansas is Kansas.

Please don't be offended Olga, It's a very bad British trait but we tend to mock every nation so pelase don't take it personally!

ha i was wondering when the americans would begin to fight back. I do think 'Fall' is a lovely name for Autumn - sort of basic but beautiful. That's it though. Oh and popsicle is good too. The rest is utter slaughter of our lovely tongue.

Haha, no I'm not truly offended, being facetious does not translate well on FB but thank you for the polite apology. That's why I love you Brits.

From me: Ok, so I was wondering at what point my transcriptions would start to appear rude... in the spirit of fairness, I think all Brits should equally post comments of anything thick fellow Brits have said!

I'll see if Private Eye's Dumb Britain is online as well... it's astounding the level of stupidity they unearth... mainly from the weakest link

ARE YOU SMARTER THAN A TEN-YEAR-OLD?, SKY ONE
Dick or Dom: What is the suffix in this sentence? "Milhouse was hopeful that he would get top marks in his exam."

Contestant: I’m not exactly sure what a suffix is. This is embarrassing. I work for a national newspaper.

Dom or Dick: Which one?

Contestant: The Guardian. I think it’s “exam”.

Quote myself when reading a list of speakers attending a conference. "Wow, Panel (pronounced 'Pan-elle') must be a really famous speaker, they're know by just one name. I wonder who it is" (I then googled who 'Panel' was). I love America and love Americans so much. I think they are gorgeous people. I also am regularly outsmarted and educated by the ones I know.

Olga So glad you are not really offended, should have read your facetiousness in the inflection of the ALL. By the way I am not actually even British. I Zimbabwean .....cue the American question. How come you're white? And Do you have lion's in your back garden?

So... you can see that the Brits are now trying to make up for it - glad to have provided such entertainment!

1 comment:

  1. Ha! Just the thing I needed to read this lunchtime. Thanks for the laughter, Lucy.

    ReplyDelete