Monday 8 March 2010

There is a lot of bad botox in this town. Yesterday I sang in a concert with the KC Chorale and one woman caught my eye. Her forehead was so rigid that I couldn't tell if she liked what we were performing or not - she just looked permamently alert, and a little bit surprised. In the aisle across from her was a man with a suspiciously smooth forehead (he was well into his fifties) who was similarly inscrutable.

Now I'm all for a bit of scientific trickery when it comes to making oneself look good, and I haven't ruled out the prick of the needle should it come to it, but something grates when I think about not being able to actually show any expression. To me, the best faces are the ones that have a twinkle - and that usually means a few laughter lines around the eyes, or a face that's at least capable of screwing up with laughter. I can see it's a slippery slope - just a few little injections here and there and before you know it you end up like forehead lady. Admittedly she looked pretty damn good for what I assume was her age - sort of tight and bright - compared to some of the similarly aged ladies in the audience, most of whom looked Sunday afternoon kanckered. But worth it for not being able to laugh? I'm not so sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment