Thursday 11 March 2010

In defiance of car culture I've decided to stop whinging and start cycling. I did it in London (10 miles a day, three times a week at least, to get to and from work) but although I brought my bike out here it has been languishing in the garage.

Until now. Yesterday, I decided to cycle to quilting class. And it was lovely - truly wonderful - to feel the wind on my face and be out in the fresh air. Admittedly I got some strange looks from drivers, and the hills were something else (I seem to have misplaced my bike fitness) but from now on, I'm getting on my bike and riding. After all, distances round here are pretty similar to what I used to do in London - four or five miles to a friend's house - and while I can't hope to cycle to university (23 miles would take me all day), I can do it in the meantime. And there are fewer lycra-clad lunatics round here, which makes the whole experience more pleasant (I don't do lycra: I ride a Pashley - upright, very ladylike, basket on the front). Today I'm feeling the burn quite pleasantly; tomorrow I'm going to cycle to the gym. Bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment