Monday 18 October 2010

Miami Beach

I went to Miami this weekend. It was so blissful: hot sun, palm trees, sea...
Admittedly Kansas is rather beautiful at the moment. The leaves are turning, the air has that glorious crispness to it and everything feels invigorating. But there was something rather lovely about being able to see the ocean, and not feeling totally trapped by land all around.
Plus, Miami is a very cool city. I don't know if I'm automatically predisposed to think everywhere else in America is cooler than Kansas (although it probably is), but Miami is especially rocking. I spent my first night there with some cousins; we cruised town in his 1978 Cadillac Eldorado before hitting the rooftop bar at the Gansevoort Hotel. Perfect.
The next day I chilled out on Miami beach, before hitting the road and driving down to Islamurada, in the Keys. Again, almost postcard-perfect, if you discount the sight of me in a bikini.
Could I actually live there? Well, yes probably. Ok, so it gets pretty hot in the summer, but you're on the coast, it's easier to fly to the UK, you can pop up to New York pretty easily, you get a great tan... And the people just seem to be a bit more on it than Kansans. They may not be as friendly, but they're bitchy, cool, smart and fun. Although I can't resist signing off with one particular comment which proves that even Floridians can be stupid - the conversation went a little like this:
Floridian: "So where would be your ultimate favourite place in the world - that you've been to or haven't been to."
Me: "Well, I've always wanted to go to India."
Floridian: "Oh no, you want to stay away from India. I mean, that's where the Taliban is, right?"

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I am not sure that they study world geography at school here in the USA?
    My husband was told that his American health care would cover him anywhere in the world. He questioned it and the reply from Human Resources was, "Well, anywhere in North America."
    Only about 22% of Americans have a passport!

    ReplyDelete