Sunday 31 October 2010

Leaves and things

I drove past a man today who was blowing leaves off his drive with one of those electric leaf-blowing things - the ones that look like vacuum cleaners but blow instead of suck. Anyway, he would patiently blow a pile of leaves off his driveway into a neat little pile - but the problem was, it was a windy day, and no sooner had he blown his pile into place than the wind would come and mess it all up. I never actually saw him do anything with the leaves, apart from push them around with his blowy thing. Meanwhile more leaves were coming down from the trees all the time because, as I said, it was a windy day. Apparently one of these leaf blower things emits as much energy in one year as 80 cars. Do these people have nothing better to do all day than blow leaves around and pollute the atmosphere while they're doing it? (and I know, I was driving a car when I saw him) Such is life in the suburbs of America.

4 comments:

  1. Maybe this bloke was thin, but think of the exercise (and less noise pollution) to be gained with a rake not to mention reduced environmental impact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have told my husband that if he ever buys a leaf blower, I will divorce him. He has threatened to buy one several times since then!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Do these people have nothing better to do all day than blow leaves around and pollute the atmosphere while they're doing it?"

    I'm living in Greater London and people here use leaf blowers, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucy,
    Enjoy your blog.
    The story about the leaf blower is interesting.
    American's are very strange about blowing leaves into little piles and just leaving them there to blow about. Hopefully, into their neighbors yards!
    Pollution? Leaf blowers pollute the air? The electric kind? Didn't know that.
    I'm glad you are looking out for the rest of us.
    Carry on.

    ReplyDelete