Friday 9 April 2010

Growing things!

Spring has sprung! It is delightful. The sun shines almost every day (apart from when it's thundering), and suddenly there are people everywhere - walking their dogs, mowing their lawns, waving at me when I go by. It's so Wisteria Lane. I love it.

So, now that everything is in bloom, I have vowed to grow myself a garden. I am not a natural gardener. In fact, most plants I touch seem to die. The only thing I have success with are those peace lilies, the virtually indestructible ones, which droop terribly and then you water them and they perk immediately up again. However. Despite my obvious lack of green fingered-ness, I'm going to give it a go.

I've already started, in fact. Last week I planted a bunch of sees - courgette, tomatoes, coriander - in little pots, ready to transplant, and they have sprouted! It is very exciting. Now I just need to remember to water them.

Alas, with gardening comes hard work - I need to dig over the soily bit and also do a fair bit of weeding. But I hope to become almost entirely self sufficient this summer (cue visions of me wafting outside to pluck a few sprigs of mint in order to whip up the perfect mint-flavoured something). Whether this will, in fact, work out, remains to be seen. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment