Sunday 27 December 2009

Oh so much to write in the last week! I feel dreadful for not recording everything as I have experienced it. My rather pathetic excuse is that everything has gone by in a whirl.

Following on from my last post, we made it to Washington, finally, and proceeded to head out for dinner with a friend. Well, my observation that all Americans were uber-friendly was swiftly dashed when we met one of the most unhelpful people I have ever encountered at the metro station. Not having used the metro before, we were both (my husband, the Major, and I) regarding the ticket machine like aliens from another planet, trying to work out exactly where to put our money in. Upon asking the man at the information desk how to get to Friendship Heights, he simply pointed at a handwritten sign. "The red line" he intoned impatiently.
"I'm sorry, I've never used the metro before, and I don't know what to do."
"The red line!" - this more impatiently.
"But I don't..."
Luckily help was at hand in the form of a nice lady who took pity on us, and proceeded to actually buy our tickets for us. Perhaps the majority of Americans are friendly after all.

The next day, after a briefing at the British Embassy (the Major is extremely important, natch), we took a little trip to the White House. Which was beautiful, in the snow, but remarkably small. Most surprising. Not quite as surprising as the police cars parked next to it, however. "United States Secret Service" they said on the side. Extremely secret, then.



Finally, on Monday evening, we flew out to Kansas. My first impressions of the natives - i.e. the other passengers on the plane - did not exactly fill me with confidence. Overweight, dreadful haircuts, high waisted blue jeans, sparkly white trainers. It was like stepping into a Wham video, but with less attractive characters. I'm a bitch I know, but that's how it was. It was a relief to finally get off the plane, three hours later (for some reason, the pilot was trying to get the air hostess to do the chicken dance - luckily she refused) and be collected by friends, who presented an oasis of normality in the maelstrom of foreign-ness.

Waking up the next morning (we're on to Tuesday now) was another matter. "For better, for worse" was the phrase running most clearly through my head. Wouldn't it be yours, when faced with a suburban scene straight out of Desperate Housewives, only with fewer white picket fences and hot gardeners? I donned my trainers and went for a run, which put me in a better mood. I saw deer leaping across the fields, and the trees reminded me of England. It was only when I got back that I was informed it was probably best not to walk or run in the fields out here - unless I wanted to be shot by a redneck farmer.

Luckily, Kansas City itself was something of a sophisticated relief. Having stocked up on Arm & Hammer toothpaste, Laura Mercier makeup and Marks & Spencers cardis (I was envisaging something like Stalinist Russia, I think) it was a joy to behold a Mac makeup store, Apple shop, Barnes & Noble bookshop and numerous others. I embarked upon spending the Major's money with glee.

All else - Christmas (major blizzard - for details, see the BBC website), Boxing Day (walk in the deep snow) and the rest I won't go into. Suffice to say there was much eating and drinking all round - so fairly standard. I'll endeavour to keep you all updated more regularly, so as to avoid having to wade through paragraphs of boredom. Next up - a road trip!

1 comment:

  1. Lucy,
    You probably won't see this, but....

    How can you stand the Americans? I pity you. Go back to GB as soon as possible!

    I live East-West of London.

    We did a little vacation thing in the states and.......never again! Everywhere we traveled, guns! Even the little kids had guns in their strollers! At least I think they were real. Maybe plastic?

    Well, the second day and there we were buying a gun! Protection, you know. Straw something or other. Never used it, but came close in Southern Philadelphia. Mafia all around us. Pretty scary!

    Thank god we made it home all in one piece. Never again will we step foot in that horrible country. Bunch of animals, I say. Gun fanatics! War mongers! Dreadful group of people.

    They wear WHITE trainers in the U.S.? Didn't see any, but did see a few mullets (sp?) in one of their malls. Mullet = business in the front and party in the back. Thinking of getting one actually.

    Oh, we sold our gun at the airport. To an off duty officer! Imagine that. Wonders never cease.

    Don't get me started about the Americans! I head through the grape-vine, they may be going into a Great Depression. AGAIN! Poor souls! Not really. Everyone will lose their money, houses, cars etc. hahaha. Serves them right! We Brits are kinds mean.

    Then I heard, the Chinese will come in a buy everything. Houses, people, cemeteries, bridges, monuments, cars, businesses and everything else! Wow! Shrewd. Oh, and even the White House!

    They are going to make everyone have plastic surgery on their eyes! Gee. Guess the surgeons are glad. Is that possible? Wow. They will no longer wook like dogs! Hahaha. Tuff.

    Lordy. The American's are going down.

    Gee. I sorta got carried away. Why do we hate them so?

    If I were you, Lucy, I would leave now before they close the airports.
    Oh, all the planes will be sold to the highest bidder. I assume Chinese.

    Everyone will be chanting this.

    Me chinese, me play joke. Me put peepee in your coke! How sweet. Serves them Americans right! Hope they like the taste!

    Why are we Brits such twits? We really are.

    Sententious

    ReplyDelete